“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

My wife loves to travel to NRW in asparagus season. Supermarkets and long-distance food have made seasonal items practically unknown in the UK: you can get whatever you want at any time. (Until recently, but that’s not a seasonal thing.)

3 Likes

I mean sure I can get tomatoes all year round and that’s fine. Except they taste terrible outside of the summer months. I don’t buy all seasonal stuff, that would be a bit difficult with the amount of time I try not to spend in the kitchen or planning meals.

But I tend to eat certain stuff more in the colder seasons–root vegetables, cabbages, mushrooms (fall)–and other things more in the warmer months… (white) asparagus and strawberries are strictly seasonal for us (~April to June). Figs have a short but sweet season in September (I think, those are imported but still only available for a few short weeks). In fall there’s the season for “new wine” and Zwiebelkuchen. It also helps with choices :slight_smile:

I have quite a few cookbooks that sort their recipes by seasons and I love that.

I also enjoy ingredient hunting (more than the actual cooking). So seasonal stuff makes that fun, too. “Look, I found the first strawberries of the year!” (and yeah, can’t wait for Strawberries and Asparagus season to come around!)

3 Likes

Just so: it’s always there, it’s just rubbish most of the time. But very few people think in terms of seasonal eating.

2 Likes

That’s one of those perks of living in NZ that I am enjoying more, due to shipping and smaller supply, shopping is very seasonal here. Can you get tomatoes in winter? Yes, but they are a rip off, and not so good. And as a result, you get your imagination going, or you get more resourceful.

2 Likes

Cool.

4 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Different styles of solo mode

3 Likes

I really like these definitions. I need someone to tell me to Kallax a bit today :wink:

Also:

Mechanics : people who make engine builders
Mechanisms : I thought that was the same as mechanics?

<3

3 Likes

Eurogame: Games standardized by the EU commission. Required by law to have very superficial theme and even less interaction to comply with EU regulations.

The real reason why we left :triumph::triumph::triumph:

8 Likes

Reminds me of a favourite from the Guardian style guide:

3 Likes

Well, I get to be the first one to say happy 22.02.2022!! Back to front date!

Thread about how to write down dates again in 3, 2… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Well clearly it’s 2022.02.22

5 Likes

22nd of February in the year of our Lord 2022, in the 71st year of her august Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

And don’t you darned Colonials forget it!! :rofl:

8 Likes

Not a subject, sorry. I did pay taxes to her government, though, but I got Felipe VI on the raffle. Whatever year he is in, 3rd, 4th??

1 Like

here’s another neat Geeklist: Publishers That Only Sell via Their Own Websites and Their Shipping Policies | BoardGameGeek

If you’ve been wondering why that one game is not available anywhere at retail…

5 Likes

Excellent resource!

3 Likes

Two videos for Twos-day Tuesday. Featuring 22 mathematicians/Youtubers.

If anyone can fill in the gaps here, that’ll be awesome

Dominion Style Deckbuilders | BoardGameGeek

1 Like

Maybe Cubitos? I know it‘s dice but … it has that fixed market thing that makes Dominion for me. Other than that I can‘t think of anything you didn‘t already put on the list. Edit: Well actually if it‘s Deck-Bag and Pool-building… Quacks has a non-random market.

2 Likes

Expanded the range so dice and bag building is fine

1 Like