Nonlexical “Moans”: Response Cries in Board Game Interactions

This cropped up on Twitter earlier, a link to a study into the noises gamers make…

Nonlexical “Moans”: Response Cries in Board Game Interactions

4 Likes

One of the things I like about the general culture of boardgamers these days – at least as I meet them, which is mostly in southern England with occasional excursions – is the willingness to say “nice” when someone else has done something that has utterly screwed them over but is still elegant.

7 Likes

I mean we usually say “you bastard!” but the sentiment is the same.

7 Likes

Yes, and it’s said in an admiring tone.

5 Likes

I recall the Australian definition of bastard, “a term of affection, except when it isn’t.”

7 Likes

I have had demonstrated to me by an Australian at least twelve different pronunciations of “mate”, ranging in meaning from “I thought you were dead and I’m very glad to see you” to “outside, now, bring a shovel”.

(Also of course “which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?”)

6 Likes

I personally like when after a minute or two of AP, somebody moans hopelessly, even more if both hands go to their forehead or temples…

It makes AP even enjoyable.

3 Likes

Occasionally followed by strange ‘huh…’ when they notice something they can do. A something that is devastating to your chances of winning!

2 Likes

My wife has a change of tone when she is making the move that wins her the game. She denies this, but I can always tell.

4 Likes