News gone in SUSD

I know from the newsletter (which you can all get for free, just read the small print) that Ava is doing more video stuff.

2 Likes

I suspect itā€™s because of how much the internet is moving away from (or really has moved away from) everyone checking dedicated sites to only seeing things shared on social media, accessed through notification feeds, etc.

And thereā€™s the recognisability issue as well. People know what to expect from a YouTube video, a Twitch stream, or a podcast. Not to mention the juggernaut of promotion that these services provide - watch enough stuff to do with board games on YT and itā€™s probably only a matter of time before youā€™re recommended a SU&SD video.

The games news was probably only getting shared a miniscule amount compared to every other aspect of what they do.

3 Likes

I remember many comments over the years along the lines of ā€œyeah, youā€™re (watching/listening to/reading) this (video/podcast/piece of text) but we also do other thingsā€, which I suspect reinforces bruitistā€™s point: people are much more likely to subscribe via youtube or itunes or twitch or something than to read the actual site.

(In answer to @yashimaā€™s earlier question, I like rss2email which does what it says, sends you RSS posts as mail. But then I have a very capable email client, mutt.)

5 Likes

I still use Feedly. It was the first one I found after Google Reader was axed. I donā€™t know whether it is a ā€œgoodā€ one or not, but they recently started adding advertising to the feed so I suspect it is now a ā€œbadā€ one even if it wasnā€™t previously.

2 Likes

I use feedbro and I am happy with it.

It is easy to use, especially adding new feeds is no hassle at all (I had worse experiences with other apps), also no ads.

But I donā€™t know what criterias you are looking for :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t either :slight_smile: Since first Bloglines and then Reader went away, I made do with bookmarks, twitter and reddit. Although, recently (as in last year) twitter hasnā€™t been much fun to use and I think I should really stop scrolling through reddit. Itā€™s not healthy even though Iā€™ve configured my personal space there to be on the wholesome side full with stuff like r/aww etc.

These days I have a few websites I check regularly and have a good tab organisation and a bunch of sorted bookmarks and a history in my browser. So nearly full circleā€¦

So back to the thread topic though: where do you all get written boardgame news?

• BGG has some
  • r/boardgames sometimes has some
  • what else is there in written form ?
1 Like
  • BoardGameGeek News blog posts
  • BGGā€™s 2 month Preview List (See below)

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview

2 Likes

Iā€™ve subscribed to Dicebreakerā€™s RSS feed (thanks @RossM). Itā€™s handy in that, while itā€™s a very broad site, the headline alone is enough to filter out a bunch of things that wonā€™t interest me. So Iā€™m only following up about one thing in four or five. Also reading BGG News.

5 Likes

What are peopleā€™s impressions of Dicebreakers?

It seems very much focussed at ā€œhey video gamers, board games are cool!ā€ audience, whilst still quite old fashioned in its sensibilities with the prominence of DnD, MtG, and the joy of dice rolling.

Itā€™s something totally different to the other sites, but I donā€™t feel like Iā€™m their audience in the slightest. For a site that purports to be a general website, it focuses on a very particular kind of boardgame and RPG.

1 Like

Dicebreaker seems to have a very diverse team working for it, with a lot of interests and so can probably sustain a regular news output.

Although they donā€™t appear to have an unofficial forumā€¦

2 Likes

You speak as though our love for SUSD is unconditional! Unofficial forums can always switch allegiances.

I would suggest a coup, but maybe a bad time for that.

5 Likes

Yeah, certainly they talk a lot more about things which I donā€™t really care about (straight D&D, M:tG) that already get plenty of coverage in their own dedicated sites. But what Iā€™m really after from it is ā€œhey, this game exists and is very roughly like thisā€ and thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting.

5 Likes

I have a fondness for https://whatsericplaying.com/. I will occasionally check out the opinionated gamers and meeple mountain as well.

Dicebreaker isā€¦ fine. But as mentioned above, it seems to tread a lot of well-worn paths.

3 Likes

Dicebreaker seems nice enough with a solid team of people even if itā€™s not for me necessarily. Like Roger I skip most of their content based on headlines or titles, though they have had some tabletop RPG coverage that Iā€™ve enjoyed. Iā€™m glad they exist, I think more voices in the boardgame review space is a good thing in general.

2 Likes

I am eternally grateful to them for introducing me to Icarus. I bought it before I even finished their review.

1 Like

Is it just my RSS feed or are the only articles appearing on the SUSD homepage these new ā€œThis week on Shut&Sit Downā€¦ā€ ?

If yes, then I will delete the feed :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah, looks like it. Videos can be got from the YouTube RSS feed, and podcasts from the podcast RSS feed, so I guessā€¦

For anyone who hasnā€™t found them:
http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:39885437/sounds.rss (probably https too by now)
https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UCyRhIGDUKdIOw07Pd8pHxCw

1 Like

Yep, they announced the end of the news after the New Year.

Yeah, but the videos and podcasts arenā€™t on the front page RSS feed any more, which they used to be. So all thatā€™s left is the ā€œthis weekā€ posts.

Ah, I see the distinction now.