How to Teach Games Goodly

agreed, that is annoying. I try to have methods for dealing with situations like that to minimise the annoyance and not alienate people by getting upset with them though I do admit that it’s difficult sometimes.

I’m sorry but I really don’t agree with this. There are lots of games that take more than 10 minutes to teach (an 18xx, a Mindclash title or many of Vital Lacerda’s games, for instance) and I think that putting an arbitrary time limit on yourself leads to stress, hurrying and a bad teach in the long run.

Better in my opinion to learn how to be engaging for the full length of time that teaching a game needs than to panic and think “oh no, I have to do this in 10 minutes otherwise everyone will switch off” and rush it.

6 Likes

Ok, back to this old chestnut.

I’ve done a couple of teaches recently that haven’t gone fully to plan.

Generally the rules have been absorbed but the other players have interjected frequently with questions which rely on other rules to explain.

For instance teaching pax pamir and someone ask what does this symbol do on a card. Telling them seems I’ll get to eat seems to leave them dejected and explaining it seems to leave them confused.

Any advice or is it just my sequencing in my explanation?

1 Like

Maybe mention what the symbol means and then tell them you’ll explain more in-depth later?

3 Likes

“That’s a great question! We’ll get to it in a moment, I promise.”

(And then when it comes time to explain the thing they asked about)
“So, before I explain the next step… does anyone have any questions? (If they don’t speak up) Oh! Wait! You had a question about this thing…”

This way it makes it kinda seem like you interrupted your flow to answer their question, but really you can stick pretty close to script.

4 Likes

This seems like a viable solution thanks both.

1 Like

I think being honest about games which you can be arsed to teach really helps.

Also I think wherever possible having a dustbin game where you work through a round helps.

Lastly I think starting with the end goals is really useful.

3 Likes

“Good question. I’ll get into that one later”. Whwn you do get back to it later, dont hesitate on repeating some earlier bits for context, but dont drag it. We know about it already.

3 Likes