How have you screwed up the rules?

We did this for a while, too. There is one character than can give cards and one can receive though and someone noticed at some point.

5 Likes

I’ve only played Legacy, so we just upgraded the researcher to do both :sunglasses:

6 Likes

After learning Village Rails only a matter of days ago, I was playing yesterday and got half way through the game before realising that it was supposed to be the Trip cards which cost £3, not the Terminus cards. I was taking the bottom Trip for free when it wasn’t, and then paying money for the cards which get you money. It seemed pointless to correct things at that point, so I just finished the game that way :‍)

3 Likes

Been playing a couple of games of Concordia. First game seemed slow but this was due to me goofing on the architect rule that you can build in multiple adjacent cities not just one.

3 Likes

I played Tetrarchia four times and I was finding the (lack of) difficulty unsatisfying, and oh my goodness I have been screwing up the rules so badly. (I’ll blame my Covid brain while I can do that – attempting to learn new games just now is probably not the smartest idea.)

• First, and worst: Every time a barbarian army moves, a revolt token is placed on its new location, and I’d just not been doing that. Along with the other downsides of having many more provinces in revolt, this rule makes fights with the barbarians an appalling prospect if you can’t cut their supply lines before a battle occurs, and/or execute a pincer movement.

• At the start of every barbarian phase, any emperor currently located at a province which is in revolt gets removed from the board – whereas I was happily ending turns with an emperor on a revolt token, and starting their next turn (still on the board) by suppressing that revolt. This also makes a huge difference (especially when revolts might spread to encompass an emperor during the turns of any of the others).

• In my first game, I missed that regions had to be free of Revolt in order to secure their borders! I figured that blunder out quickly, at least.

• I forgot that I can downgrade a revolt to just “unrest” for only a single action point.

• I forgot that (uncovered) home provinces count as having one of that emperor’s garrison tokens on them, and that Rome is also “wild” in this respect – effectively a permanent +1 to strength when defending it (or connected provinces).

• I was forgetting to roll the 50/50 “broken link” test for some things.

Realising just how much I’d been messing up, I ended up scouring the rules threads on BGG, along with the designer’s FAQ file, to try to find anything else I was missing. I think I have it all sorted now (and on the plus side, I wasn’t making the error of only performing the barbarian phase once after all four emperors had had turns, which sounds like one of the other common explanations for “this game is far too easy”).

Edit: Played a proper game on a hard setting (“3122” in their coded system), and managed to secure half of the borders, but the barbarians were just relentless, and I wasn’t thinking far enough ahead. I lost on account of running out of Revolt tokens in the end. I’d managed some good plays along the way, but at the same time I felt like I was barely keeping my head above water for most of the game, so I think the loss was pretty inevitable. The game is definitely not “too easy” now :‍)

3 Likes