How are you today?

Just heard our office is essentially shutting down. Our main client has cancelled all work and is going on the government payment scheme designed to prevent businesses from going under, so we are doing the same. The boss is semi “retiring”, and a truly incompetent partner is stepping up to run the company into the ground.

It’s odd, because my colleague and I are actually really busy with work from another client, and will be until the end of the year at least. But we will start working from home, which is kind of good. But we don’t know what happens to paid leave, eligibility to use daycare, etc.

The government payment scheme is scheduled to end at the end of this month, and the boss is banking on it being extended. So, the business could fail at any time. Not a good time to be on the job market.

2 Likes

Sympathies.

2 Likes

If this is the UK, I’d be very concerned now. My sympathies.

1 Like

It’s Japan.

2 Likes

That’s a hard situation to be in. In many ways the sheer uncertainty we’re all faced with makes everything even more difficult to deal with, and it seems as if you’re faced with that too. Sympathies and best wishes.

1 Like

Not part of the same concern, but I heard from my oldest friend earlier tonight. She and her husband are in a county in Oregon that is entirely under alerts for fire; they’ve only received the first-level alert so far, but that could change. I can only hope they get enough warning and are able to act on it. We had friends in San Diego who barely got out of their house before it burned, back in the early years of the century . . .

Ohh dear. I guess at least you’ve got till the end of the year in notice (all going well). Make the most of working from home. Oust the incompetent partner in a convoluted plot?

But seriously, hope it works out.

1 Like

That sounds like extra stress at an already stressful time, hope those questions get cleared up with positive answers

A close friend of mine is sitting on packed bags, her fire alert was raised to 2 last night (southern suburbs of Portland). I checked the firemaps this morning, it looked like it hadn’t come closer over night but I can be wrong there is a smaller fire quite close to her… the major blaze is still a bit further south but her partner’s workplace in Salem has already shut down :frowning: I had not thought that living so close to a major city could still be that dangerous.

I hope everyone here who lives on the west coast (are there more areas on fire?) is safe.

2 Likes

Early this century (2003, I think), San Diego experienced a major wildfire. Two friends of ours who lived inside the city limits (he was the president of the San Diego Comic-Con until his untimly death a couple of years ago) lost their house in it. They had very little warning, and got out barely ahead of the fire; that was before the technology of fire warnings was as advanced as it is now.

There are fires in California, including one in San Diego county, where many of our friends still live. One of C’s cousins is out in the eastern part of the county where the danger is greatest.

1 Like

I’ve seen images that look like the apocalypse is really just moments away…

During a past visits to the US, we visited multiple areas where there had been big fires and we even saw some smoke on the horizon and quickly checked and found out it was a controlled burn… but what is going on now seems to be dwarfing all those previous devastations :frowning:

1 Like

We have friends (the usual gaming couple I often mention) who had to evacuate due to the fires here. We are hopeful that they will have a home to return to once everything is said and done. :frowning:

3 Likes

Was hanging in there. Now hanging in there plus smoke?
Getting kids schedules school,/therapy set, I’d reached the anxiety state where I don’t feel social which is handy with shelter in.

Then the fires. This was over my house Thursday, Friday everything was more mixed with that dingy tint and smelled like smoke blowing in our face.
Air quality where we are is hazardous though thankfully not in fire danger. Kids therapy closed Friday as a precaution. Lots of drive throughs here have closed too.
Though I am from southern Oregon and my mom told me basically any meaningful (places we lived visited, stayed) either on fire or evacuated. My heart goes out to those who have lost so much.
It’s really trippy to look at a map and see the exact areas (Phoenix/Talent) that I spent chunks of childhood at are literally ash.
My family south are safe, my mom was supposed to visit for my birthday but the smoke is making her sick. I am super thankful my kids haven’t been too badly affected. When they were little smoke would give them horrible coughs.

10 Likes

I’m not sure where to post this, but we miss Disney so much at the moment. The laying loads of staff off isn’t cool.

I know I’m not the only massive Star Wars fan on here (@marx @comaestro @Chewy77). Watch to the end

6 Likes

That was unexpectedly epic!

I’ve been to DisneyWorld in Florida twice, but (even without a pandemic) aren’t likely to get to the US again anytime soon to see Galaxy’s Edge. But it seems genuinely great - just look at the joy in this photo of Rey getting a lightsaber salute!

5 Likes

That’s amazing.

We left 2 days before Galaxy’s Edge opened last year. It was my birthday that week and we asked if we could have a look, but I imagine I was the 1000th person who had asked that day.

I know Disney is it’s own self contained thing which won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but we loved it. I hope we get to go back in 2022.

1 Like

Numbers are rising quickly and I am stressing because we are due to meet family we haven’t seen in months. Just one other household but… I get so stressed out every time I see someone that is not in our regular little bubble I get a sore throat afterwards. Probably shows how much we are able to stay home and away from other people in our daily lives.

Also, people are back to hoarding toilet paper, flour and yeast.

4 Likes

We tend to buy in large amounts anyway, just not very often…

Fortnightly shopping day was Tuesday, and local supermarket had about one in twenty Unmasked. I think the sort of people who need to be intimidated into doing it have noticed the total lack of enforcement.

4 Likes

People here are wearing masks. One in 20 here is just wearing it wrong.

The health office in my town is saying—besides those for whom they cannot track down where they got infected—people mostly contract covid in private settings. In private we rarely meet anyone and we haven’t seen more than a single other household at the same time since February (excepting one family meeting we had to attend).

I buy flour in 10kg portions every few weeks. luckily that place is used to bread aficionados buying those amounts. They sell in 5 kg, 2.5kg and 1kg sacks.

4 Likes

It’s too cold for distanced gazebo gaming now, and meeting indoors feels like a bit of a push even if we’d all be masked and reasonably distant and not shouting.

3 Likes

We’ve been banned from meeting others indoors for 4/5 weeks now. Been eyeing some nice gazebos.

4 Likes