How are you today?

Managed to get our kids their first Covid vaccinations on Saturday. Also got myself a booster shot, since I was lucky enough to have a picture of my card on hand (my wife didn’t, but she has an appointment for later this week).

As such, yesterday I felt pretty miserable, which continued this morning, but I think I am finally shaking it off. Missed work. Well, sort of, as while I now have a manager again, he has not learned the ins and outs of our IT situation, so I got about 3.5 hours of work in remotely.

10 Likes

I am unable to figure out if you think that’s good or bad. Either way, feel better.

My daughter got her first covid shot last thursday. Yesterday, she complained that she didn’t feel well; she had a mild fever, but no other signs of ilness. Last night, she had horrible coughing fits, which kept us all awake for several hours. My wife said she didn’t feel well this morning. they both had PCR tests which were negative for covid, two sorts of influenza, and the bubonic plague. (I’ve forgotten what the last test was for; it wasn’t actually for plague. I am glad we are well insured.).
So it’s probably ust a cold.

Tonight, I feel roughly like someone has been beating me with a rubber hose.

5 Likes

I had my last appointment in the vaccine trial yesterday. Since the vaccine I’ve had still isn’t approved (except in Indonesia and the US) they gave me a prescription for the Pfizer vaccine, in case I want to go abroad/want a top-up. So now I need to decide whether that sounds like a good idea…

2 Likes

Here they are saying that following up anything else with the Pfizer is effective. They are recommending it for the Johnson & Johnson specifically. Also Pfizer seems to be the best all around with the least side effects. I had a slight fever one night, felt tired and my arm hurt for several days after Moderna–I did not really consider this to be a side effect as it felt just like my immune system was dealing with something. But it is considered as such I recently learned when reading about how other countries have people diligently report anything and everything to make the whole process more transparent–f.e. Denmark and the Netherlands. Apparently, big surprise, transparency makes people more wiling to get vaccinated.

As of tomorrow my state is going from "Warning level’ to “Alarm Level” this means most places will only be allowed to let you in if you are vaccinated or recovered. I am not sure about the whole PCR test requirements as I am vaccinated.

Our local booster campaign is still in its infancy and despite having had my vaccine almost 6 months ago at this point, I am probably not going to be eligible for a while yet -.-

Remote work ftw!

3 Likes

I read last night that my county is now considered a High Risk due to a recent rapid rise rin rinfection rate.

:frowning:

3 Likes

Feeling pretty c#@p really. Had a nervous breakdown at the beginning of the year, followed by 5.5 months long term sick. In that time I got married (a good thing), my new wife had a breast cancer scare resulting in a precautionary surgery. I had a breast cancer scare (less serious, only fatty lump), I endured an extended underperformance process at work (starting in 2020, and causing my breakdown), was dismissed from my job, and now am having to navigate benefits and the job market. But at least it’ll be my 54th birthday at the end of the month, and we’re going to Dragonmeet for the first time this year!

15 Likes

Wow, seems like youve been through a lot. Glad you’re getting through it

5 Likes

It’s been tough.:pensive:

5 Likes

I was there and I can’t think if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

I 100% was telling them to stay home sick because you know he felt sick and I was all pushing soup and making jello.

A factor is I’m (wife) am getting my tonsils out in January, So time off will be really needed. Tho I rather @COMaestro take it off if he doesn’t feel good. I’m glad anything that was needed was able to remote in and not drive.

Kiddos are okay couple days post, though they can’t report “inside” pain the best. It hasn’t slowed them, and no fever or swollen injection site.

8 Likes

Less than a week after the last death among our student body, there has been another. This one hits much closer to home for me, and I’m having to walk a much narrower path between being here for my students and taking the time I need to process. Too many dragons.

13 Likes

Christ. Thoughts are with you

3 Likes

Oh god that’s awful, I’m so sorry.

3 Likes

Ouch! Sorry to hear that @bengeile awful timing.

3 Likes

Oh no :worried: … I hope you have a good support system who can be there for you while you’re being there for your students

3 Likes

So very sorry to hear this, especially so close on the heels of the previous tragedy. Best wishes to you and your students.

3 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that. I’ve been through one a few years ago now; two sounds absolutely brutal. Please take care of yourself and make sure you get whatever support you can.

3 Likes

Thank you all so much. When I joined these forums, I expected to get feedback on my miniature painting.
I did not expect it to be a place I regularly turn to for community support and peace of mind.

Today is a better day. I’m worn very thin, but have some space while attending a virtual teacher conference to breathe and reload.

We have a robust support structure in the district, largely due to an even more severe string of incidences in the local schools about 6 years ago. It doesn’t make it easier to face, but it has given our teachers and students a common vocabulary and approach as we work through it together.

We’ve got the Thanksgiving break approaching, so our focus now is on making sure students have sufficient support outside of school for the upcoming week. With the way ideation has tragically played out among our student body in the past, these next weeks are going to be a real test of how well our youth suicide prevention efforts of the last five years have worked to provide supports and safety nets. Those of us who have been in the district long enough to remember are holding our breath.

Take a look around and:
Offer help.
Request help.
and Accept help.

18 Likes

We may be scattered across different continents, and speak different languages (sometimes) but we all come here to talk to each other, mostly about our shared passion for games. But when there is a need there is also a space here to share those burdens and I do hope we are able to send some strength your way or where else it may be needed and if only by having a place where you can put your thoughts into words… and sometimes I feel writing it out is easier than saying it aloud.

14 Likes

I’ll confess that when I first joined here in July, I really just expected to chat about board games and that was it. But the warmth, compassion and simple friendliness of this place have been a very welcome surprise. I’m proud to count this place in my online homes (of which there are very few). Thank you.

@bengeile , I can’t even pretend to know what you’re going through and can’t offer anything to help, no great words of wisdom or whatever, but you’re in my thoughts.

12 Likes

I have to go to a meeting now–in person–with someone who is likely still not vaccinated.
As this has to do with our renovation issue, I have a double-bad feeling about this.

Very double bad.
Anyone care to guess what the local numbers are? Too high to be comfortable with this.

6 Likes