Hostage Negotiator: Career Review - One Player Bliss

2021-08-05T11:01:47Z

1 Like

Well, as a person here who has a copy of all things Hostage Negotiatorā€¦

Iā€™ve been trying to up my skills at the core game. A thing thatā€™s come up quite a bit recently in my solo/coop gaming is the idea that youā€™re having multiple goes at beating a challenge (consider Railroad Ink or NMBR 9), but the nature of the challenge varies: sometimes the dice and cards will fall just the way you want them, sometimes they wonā€™t. Did I really beat that abductor because I played better, or was it dice luck? So Iā€™m trying to get to the point of consistently beating the base game abductors before I go on to the expansion materials.

So thereā€™s that. But as my skills improve the more I can see ways of not relying on luck, or just relying a little bit on it, and thatā€™s lovely. A bit like Rallyman: GT, weirdly enough.

Seems like a weird sort of time to review it, though. I mean, original game 2015, Crime Wave 2017, Career arrived at my door post-KS just over a year ago (and, guilt guilt, I havenā€™t played it yet).

(Iā€™ve seen the original small box in bring and buys for Ā£5-Ā£10 ā€“ my copy is one of those.)

4 Likes

I have so many solo games unexplored, do I really need another? Iā€™m mostly drawn by the ā€œlegacyā€ game (though I hesitate to use that word, because it doesnā€™t seem like it fits the rest of the industryā€™s definition). Soā€¦ thatā€™s a big price tag for something Iā€™m not sure about.

Additionally, I play games to A) challenge my brain and B) relax. I think this particular design might fail on both fronts? The theme does not seem relaxing whatsoever, and I worry that the dice-dependent gameplay will spoil the intellectual approach I would take.

2 Likes

Hm.

Certainly itā€™s not destroy-the-game legacy - I mean, you can write on stuff if you want to I guess but itā€™s entirely resettable without effort. Itā€™s what Iā€™d call a campaign system wrapped round the core game.

Iā€™m not yet good enough at the core game to say whether it would fit your brain-challenging approach. There are definitely skills to be learned; some will work all the time, some will rely on luck. As with R:GT you canā€™t eliminate luck completely but you can make it less important.

I could probably do this as a PBF by just photographing my copyā€¦

4 Likes

If you figure out how to run a PBF, Iā€™d be interested to play-by-committee.

3 Likes

Likewise !

2 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

Ditto!

Iā€™m finding myself drawn to games that are solo or can be played that way. There are times I just want to sit and play something, whether my family is interested or not. Being quick to set up is a bonus. I have enjoyed my couple of TTS play of Under Falling Skies and could see picking it up at some point. This looks intriguing as well, especially since it appears there is some replayability with the randomized Terror deck and such.

3 Likes

Does every British person have an age-of-beige colored trench-coat in their closet?

2 Likes

I donā€™t, but I do own a pea coat. Not sure if thatā€™s betterā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s always the same one, we just share.

12 Likes

Closest I can manage is a US military parka. (Given my metabolism, I wear it approximately never.)

3 Likes

Mine is navy blue because Iā€™m classy.

And not water proofā€¦ :tired_face: Who makes coats that arenā€™t water proof?!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got a navy blue one which is water proof. Can recommend water proof coat.

3 Likes

I have a non-waterproof trench as well, but mine is black. Was really cheap at Goodwill.

2 Likes

On a non-trench coat vibe (black, waterproofing worn out) I watched on YouTube and the review was interrupted twice by adverts. Normally there is just one to skip through at the start but this also had 2 during the review. Who decides when and where adverts will be? Or was it an artistic choice, a meta narrative about US tv shows?

1 Like

I used to have a denim trench coat that I wore all the time when I was at college. Now I have one of those ankle-length waterproof coats that posh people wear when walking their dogs in the countryside.

1 Like

I think itā€™s up to YouTube.

If you use youtube-dl or another downloader, you donā€™t get any advertisements at all. Which may be why YouTube considers it a ToS violation.

1 Like

Do you walk your cat across the countryside?

Re: youtube adds. Same here. 2 interruptions. It may be that youtube has once again changed their fine print and decided they now put the adds where people cannot avoid them and are already committed to the video without even asking the creators if they want that. I donā€˜t know. Probably makes more money this way. Hope it doesnā€˜t happen with my yoga videos.

I do not :laughing:
I have the coat because I used to commute by train, which involved a lot of standing around on cold, wet platforms.

2 Likes