Mean games have a bad reputation with me in recent years. Tales of people losing friends over a game of Risk or Diplomacy may be from the last millenium but whenever I hear a certain reviewer say “we don’t like mean games” I wonder if maybe maybe… I’ve been avoiding some good games.
I certainly don’t like “Take That” mechanisms very much (especially while I am at the receiving end…)
However, I have recently noticed that there are some games that qualify as mean or that induce huge amounts of Schadenfreude that I do enjoy and I felt like the other players were enjoying themselves while at the same time wailing aboult the misfortune that befell them.
- So what are some mean games that make good use of their meanness and are still fun to play?
- Follow up: What might be some criteria that make mean games good or fun to play?
- What games make you feel awful because they are so mean? Why?
- Also are there games where being mean is optional? How do you play it?
- Does the amount of meanness you can take or dish out vary with player numbers?
- edit: What even does qualify as mean for you?
Games I came across recently that triggered my thinking about these things: 6 nimmt, The Estates and mentions of “Hey that’s My Fish” as being super-mean. Also possibly hidden role games like BotC
Maybe I’ve had a few too many multiplayer solitaire and coop games…