Getting into Netrunner

As of now we have all of our regular products available in German. I believe they’re all available in about 6-7 languages? Sometimes we’re unable to get all the language support on release day, but German usually gets done very quickly, and I think has been available on release on the last two sets. You can find a link to them on the product page for each individual product. (For the first two it’s at the bottom, but we’ve moved language to the top for the new set, which is much better.)

3 Likes

(For clarity, “we” is NISEI?)

That’s correct, yeah

After I bought a fairly extensive collection at a reasonable price (and then spent days removing all the Japanese-language stickers the former owner had pasted directly onto the cards with a really strong adhesive), I would say that if you do decide to buy into Netrunner, you should look for a full set.

The later expansions are prohibitively expensive to buy separately, and also suffer from significant power creep while the powerful cards from earlier expansions are all considered to be unusable by the players who have everything (for good reason - it’s not fun when every deck must contain the same overpowered cards to be competitive).

So, you are left with trying to make competitive decks from a limited pool of weaker cards, further limited by the strongest cards you have all being removed. It means that any attempt to play with the people who are all-in, who will likely be the only opposition available, means tortuous attempts to negotiate mutually agreeable card pools, or resigning yourself to having significantly weaker decks.

In conclusion, despite having a sizable collection of cards, I can only really play on jinteki.net. Unless I find the time, energy, and money to start printing proxies, anyway. When I do, I’ll probably try and recreate the 30 decks for casual play that someone helpfully put together (using a full collection, of course).

4 Likes

I got into Netrunner about half way through the last cycle FFG released, and bought a full collection for probably around 10% of its retail value.

If you decide to buy a full collection, then you should really be looking for this kind of thing. People will try to sell collections that are very overpriced, so patience is the key. Joining the Discord or Slack server is a good way to find additional help on buying, as well as maybe the subReddit, but I don’t use Reddit basically at all. People who are attempting to pass their collections on will sell via those places rather than eBay so that they can try to make sure they go to new players instead of people trying to make a profit.

As a side note; World’s 2019 was won by somebody who owns zero cards. They only had paper print outs, and borrowed somebody’s deck to put their proxies in. When they made the second day their friend wanted their deck back to play with in the side events, so their was a request in all the channels for somebody to lend their decks out to be used as proxy sleeves!

The community just wants people to play. If you have a request, they will do whatever they can to help you.

As a continuation from something Benkyo talked about; currently their is an unofficial format called Modded which is only the most recent set of cards + the core set. This means that you only have to select from around 300 cards total for both sides. This format is essentially going to be made “Official” with the release of the new player product Gateway. It is significantly easier to play Modded if you’re a newer players with no connection, but most of your games would be organised through the discord server.

1 Like

Thanks again. For now I’ll play more on jinteki; I can tell I’m in the “oh wow, this is full of stuff” phase, and on the usual pattern I’ll need to pass through disenchantment and then re-enchantment before it’s worth putting down money.

2 Likes

This is part of the reason why I like a closed pool of earlier cycles. The power creep later on resulted in a lot of cards that just weren’t fun to play against, far too much denial. I love the interesting interactions in this game, and telling your opponent they can’t do something because of X and Y is the complete opposite of an interesting interaction. They get to watch me play with my fun toys, while they sit there in their hole. It’s where a tournament game peels off into its own niche of constructing to defend against specific OP cards in the meta. It becomes more about being competitive than having fun.

Unless someone is going to play this as a lifestyle game (week in week out for 5+ years) to learn the intracacies of metas, a closed pool works great with plenty to explore. A lot of having a lifestyle game is playing against a lot of different people/decks in a single evening. With kitchentop play it’s a completely different environment, especially if you’re playing against the same one or two people. Metas don’t build as fast and there’s not so much of a need for more cards.

The downside is that once someone has crossed over to tournament competitive play, there’s no way they can unlearn what they know, and a closed pool casual play will feel limiting and weak. (Didn’t Quinn’s talk a bit about this on the podcast ages ago?)

Thanks for the decks, I had not seen that project before. I have most the cards, but not all of them. Think I’m missing the Sansan cycle and a pack here or there in the latter half of the cycles. Will be interesting to see how many of the decks I can make up…

2 Likes

Weirdly, the biggest complaint right now is that all the powerful cards rotated. :confounded:

2 Likes

I’m thinking of at least getting into watching Netrunner, and figured this was a good place to ask :slight_smile: @TamiJo and anyone else who might know…

Background: I bought the FFG core when it came out and a couple of packs, and I was pretty terrible. Great at Magic, bad at this. But there’s no question it’s a best-in-the-world game and I have strong nostalgia.

I eventually sold my cards because I wasn’t getting to play enough for the spiralling costs (and it had the usual competitive LCG problem: If you don’t have Jackson Howard, you lose. Then if you don’t have Professional Contacts you lose, etc.)

But I realised that lockdown had made me go back and watch a lot of MtG on youtube, and now I’m amazing at Magic. I know the meta, I know deck composition for smooth mana spend. I know 90% of the cards enough to predict the opponent’s deck, etc, all the stuff you need to actually win pretty regularly. (Right now Enchantment Removal is totally underrated, imho, and I’m delighted that Orzhov Angels are a thing.)

And what I want to do next is… watch enough Netrunner that I learn all that before I actually play much.

So:

1. Is there a youtube channel that’s good for matches? Can you spectate on Jinteki?

2. Realistically with lockdown happening when I do feel confident enough to play it’ll be online only, but I’m also interested in NISEI and the upcoming System Gateway/Update.
    Is there a good website for newbie tips, news etc? (I’ve just joined Green Level Clearance on discord).

1 Like

This much I know: yes, if the players haven’t turned it off, which can be done in match setup.

I am interested in the answers to your other questions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to Null Signal at Essen I now have System Gateway, System Update 2021, and Midnight Sun. But I get the feeling I am meant to have bought Netrunner stuff before, because they weren’t selling tokens, just the cards. Now I realise I can buy tokens elsewhere, and some of them are very nice. For that matter I can make my own. Does someone have a list of how many of what token I should have?

There’s a list in the original Netrunner rules:

• 2× click tracker
  • 51× credit/advancement
  • 8× 5-credit
  • 6× brain damage
  • 12× bad publicity / tag
  • 23× generic

Is that a reasonable amount? Will I need more?

3 Likes

I’ve never run out when using the tokens from the core set :+1:t2:

1 Like

Whereas these, which were included when I bought some cards, never seemed sufficient.

Can’t recall if I actually ran out, but I remember being constantly panicked about it the few times I used them before returning to the cardboard ones.

(Noting that both players were using this pool of tokens)

2 Likes

2x Click tracker: Yep. Use the click trackers that come on the cards in Gateway, and just any token to track how many you’ve used.
51x 1’s, 8x 5’s: I personally use 2x 10’s, 6x 5’s, 15x 1’s for just myself. I rarely use the tens, almost never both. This should be more than good enough.
6x core damage: It is rare, outside of a specific deck, you’ll use most of these, but a player essentially loses if the end the turn with six, so yeah.
12x bad pub/tag: I will always be frustrated by bad pub tokens with anything on the other side, but this is far more than you’ll ever need. If you go above like 4 tags people usually replace them with just 1 tag and dice next to it to represent the number. When you have lots of tags, you tend to end up with LOADS so it’s unreasonable to have enough at that point.
23x generic: A very good and high number.

You’ve generally got more than enough here for two players, and you could easily cut this down by about 25% ish if that saved you money etc.

Also I realise this is two-weeks late. I’ve not been about here much.

3 Likes