Gentle movies, tv shows, games

Film : The Dig, on Netflix. Most period drama. Babette’s Feast is utterly brilliant (just my opinion).
I loved The Detectorists, but still haven’t seen the last season. Is it available online?
The game recommendation is Wingspan I reckon. It’s just loads of nice things.

1 Like

Los Espookys - brilliant absurdist dual-language comedy on HBO. The characters are horror buffs but there’s never anything scary. It’s so gentle and loving. It’s so silly.

Second The Good Place.

Also on HBO, The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency - there’s sometimes some darkness in the plotlines but Mma Ramotswe and her friends are just so warm-hearted and wonderful and they always prevail. And lovely shots of Botswana, too.

Paterson is such a wonderful film. It was easily one of my favourites of that year.

Lots of classic Hollywood comedies (including lots of silent films and screwball comedies) will put a smile on my face for similar reasons. There’s usually conflict of some kind but, somewhat on account of the time they were made, it’s usually on the gentler side of things.

It Happened One Night is one of my absolute favourites.

I’m hugely fond of all the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals.

I can’t not mention The Importance of Being Earnest (1952 or 2002; they’re both excellent) or (on television) Jeeves and Wooster, which are wonderful farcical period comedies (plenty of drama, but still very much on the gentle side).

In more recent years, Amelie and Sing Street spring to mind as absolute delights.

I’m not sure all of those things fit the bill 100%, but I’d happily recommend them regardless as things which are liable to make you happy.

Edit: Looking through those lists, I see some other films I can strongly recommend:

• The Visitor
  • Faces Places
  • Columbus
3 Likes

I think it’s on Netflix