Favourite webcomics

Seconding Blastwave

Ah, yes, I also read Three Panel Soul, and read the previous comic of the creators’, MacHall.

Also read one called Head Trip, which started off as one off strips with some dark humor and roughish art and evolved into near Disney quality artwork with some ongoing story elements. Went on very extended hiatus after the artist injured her arm or shoulder a couple of years ago. I think one page has been posted in that time frame.

I occasionally enjoy xkcd, but I’ve never felt the urge to follow it.

I currently follow five Webcomics regularly:

• Freefall is a science fiction Webcomic about a cephalopod alien, a robot, and an uplifted wolf in another solar system. It’s primarily humorous but has some serious underlying themes that I largely find sympathetic.
  • PS 238 is a series about child superheroes (and supervillains) attending a specialized school for the use of superpowers; as I’m fond of both superheroes and school stories, it hits my buttons. Its protagonist is the one kid who actually has no powers (his parents have powers and insist on his attending the school); I enjoy the “misfit starting to find his own path” motif.
  • Questionable Content is a slice of life series set in what seems to be an alternate timeline where fully human-equivalent AI has been around for a while. The early strips were crudely drawn, but it’s gotten much better over the years. I read this largely for the characterization of both AIs and humans.
  • Scandinavia and the World is about interactions of characters who personify the various nations, in ways that reflect cultural differences. The central characters are the three Scandinavian countries, followed by the other two Nordic countries and by America, but all sorts of countries and occasional other entities show up.
  • Stand Still, Stay Silent is a primarily serious adventure series (but with humorous moments) set in a postapocalyptic future Nordic region of supernatural horror. The art is, to my taste, astonishingly beautiful, with a flavor a bit like Tolkien’s watercolors but much greater artistic ability, particularly in the portrayal of action as well as landscape. It also has great characterization. I loved the online version so much that I bought the two print volumes and plan to buy the third when it comes out.

I hadn’t even heard of Oglaf. I’ll have to take a look.

Ah, some that I’d forgotten! The magic of social media meaning I don’t have to bother keeping up with things as they just pop up in my feed.

Especially as these days my RSS reader is just a graveyard of stuff I keep meaning to catch up with …

Another I forgot as I’ve mostly read it as the collected editions: Sunstone, which is even more NSFW than Oglaf as it’s romance/erotica rather than comedy and has more realistic art.

I read the mini-series that was published by Dark Horse and it was just kinda … unsatisfying, especially compared to Giant Days.

1 Like

I missed the mini-series. I trade-waited Giant Days because I missed the early issues and enjoyed it greatly. I agree Steeple is not sending me to new heights but keeping up with it every other week seems the fastest way to learn of a new Destroy History one-off or something.

Back in the day (16 years ago) I read a lot of A Modest Destiny and the other comics created by Sean Howard. www.squidi.net

At the same time I read The Noob comic. The Noob Comic 1

Both are parodies on RPGs / MMORPGs (especially The Noob). Back then I found them very funny, no idea about today :smiley: