Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it

You made our local news this morning. Rivers are nice and all, but I hope yours stays away from you and your house .

2 Likes

Well I just watched a video of a house floating down a river, and I donā€™t know what to say about that.

Itā€™s not very long since half of Australia seemed to be on fire, and now thereā€™s massive flooding, and meanwhile thereā€™s this pandemicā€¦

My heart goes out to those who are getting completely hammered by all this.

1 Like

January 2020 in fact. I believe that was during an El NiƱo year, and this time itā€™s a La NiƱa year.

If itā€™s the same one I saw that was in the Manning valley, south of here. My area has been fortunate that there was a comparatively dry spot on the New England Tableland that covered a part of our riverā€™s upper catchment. The Manning valley (and several of the short rivers with coastal valleys) got a thorough soaking and have had record flood levels.

The house in question was washed away on Saturday, and apparently the couple who lived in it were scheduled to be married that day. A Gofundme campaign has raised at least A$100,000 for them. But nothing, as far as I know, for their landlord.

1 Like

Pretty much the whole summer of 2019ā€“20. I had friends burned out on the 8th of November and an evacuation warning on the 10th. We didnā€™t see blue sky until the 26th of December, and the fires werenā€™t entirely out until March 2020.

2019 was dry:

Indeed, it was the worst drought on record:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/history/rainfall/

2 Likes

Blue sky!

Thereā€™s a bit more water coming down the river from rain on the tablelands yesterday. Itā€™ll produce a third peak this afternoon, but nothing to worry about.

5 Likes

How do you feel about spiders?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/thousands-spiders-try-escape-flooded-173033847.html

(Kinchela Creek is near here, one of the branches of the river that flows through my town, on the floodplain east of here.)

1 Like

Only in Australiaā€¦

I will never get to travel there. My partner has bad arachnophobia.

1 Like

My first reaction to the headline is ā€œoh, theyā€™re farming spiders now?ā€.

4 Likes

Nope, Dairy farms. The cows need spiders as a source of vitamin B12.

5 Likes

And yet, strangely, more Australians are killed by bears than by our venomous wildlife.

We have no bears.

4 Likes

From the ones Iā€™ve known, Iā€™m sure more Australians are killed by beers than bears.

4 Likes

Yes, but we certainly have a great many beers.

4 Likes

Beers are better than bears and both are better than spiders.

Personally, I think that of all the multi-legged horrors spiders arenā€™t the worst. They at least eat some of the other crawly things.

2 Likes

We always worry here about some of the processional caterpillars around this time of year. Not from the harm that they cause to us humans directly, but they are very poisonous to dogs and cats.

3 Likes

Also, they are terribly destructive to white cedar trees.

I prescribe sheep-dip.

2 Likes

Mosquitos are the worst. Though Iā€™m not very good-humoured about paper wasps either.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking of.

2 Likes

Finnish mosquitoes are optimised for getting through reindeer-hide.

4 Likes

German mosquitos are optimized for keeping me awake at nightā€¦

5 Likes