Episode 161: My Deep and Cranky Knowledge

For a starting (Spring) Covenant, the covenant set up is often the plot. Why are they being given this place, why isn’t there already a covenant here if it’s so lovely, what kind of pig in a poke have they been given?

Add in negotiations with the local political leaders, the fae, finding Vis sources, uncovering the diabolists in the local monastery … it’s quite plotful.

Summer covenants are often working at Tribunal (basically national) politics - this is where you can really dig into inter-covenant rivalries and plots.

Autumn covenants are at the height of their power - they’re often working on a global level.

Winter covenants are icky and weird. We hates them, Bagginnss.

2 Likes

There’s a kind of school that doesn’t teach short multiplication?

Perhaps because my role-playing circles were formed among STEM and economics students I have never had trouble with the primary-school arithmetic in ForeSight. Personally, I find that table look-ups are worse interruptions.

I didn’t know what short multiplication was. I had to look it up.
…
Ah! That’s what that is. In school, we just called it multiplication. What’s “long multiplication”?

Here’s the thing though, I think this approach actually makes it harder for me to do multiplication in my head for large numbers. I can’t always keep all the numbers straight.

Long multiplication is when you are multiplying with more than one digit in the multiplier. You do a short multiplication by each digit of the multiplier in turn, stacking the products each offset to the column of its digit, and then add the products.

E.g.

    654 ×
    321
_______
    654
 13 080
196 200
_______
209 934
_______

In the Ease Factor:Quality Rating resolution system the worst case is a two-digit number multiplied by a single-digit one. So you need only short multiplication, and the simplest possible such.

1 Like

OK… we weren’t taught there was a distinction between “short” and “long” except that you started with single-digit multipliers in your homework until you worked your way up to multi-digit multipliers.

Same. We learned long division, specifically, but multiplication was just multiplication.

1 Like

A two-digit by one-digit multiplication by any name is primary-school arithmetic, though?

Yes, but that doesn’t mean I can figure out 57 x 8 quickly, especially at a game table.

I’m not at all sure that it was ever explained to me what that ‘long’ meant and anyway it was only ever used in ‘long division’. I never heard ‘long multiplication’. It seems to mean any calculation you can’t do in your head but have to write down. And I never heard ‘short multiplication’ either.

But then I remember reciting times tables up to twelve. I date from when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

1 Like

As a player in @MichaelCule ‘s forum Ars Magica, it appeared to be getting (in my view) overwhelmed very quickly with the esoterica and busywork. It’s just too much for asynchronous forum work I think.

I have run AM 3rd edition in the late 90s or so, we ran troupe style play with one wizard each year undertaking a quest accompanied by the companions (?) and grunts/the turb(?). We even had a few years run by another GM from the group. That lasted a while, but the clear focus there was GM generated adventures (I even took them to Zara on Crusade). I guess in my view that worked because we were following a traditional form of adventure delivery while the covenant (in Prague) was shared continuity.

On forum games in particular I have set out views before, but they need to be simple. See my Scurry game here - on hiatus but hopefully to resume - to see how long it can take for just three people to work through a simple plot. I have enjoyed it though!

3 Likes

To reassure you, Mike, my kids still have to learn their times tables up to 12.

And they’re both in their late thirties.

1 Like

Good memory :slight_smile: Companions are your mundane but special characters, and Grogs / Turb are the (usually shared) grunts and coven folk.

My first campaign was a similar era and I really like your framing of ‘shared continuity’ for the covenant - my players concentrated a lot of effort there though because I started them with a mystery of ‘what’s in the cellar?’ with a side order of ‘why have we been given this seemingly fine covenant and what happened to all the magi that were here before?’ (The two were, perhaps unsurprisingly, connected.)

3 Likes