Does Sanderson's law apply to traps?

I think all traps need to have a reason for being there. They are usually placed at access points, whether it is a murder hole at the dungeon entrance or a poison needle trap on the treasure chest. Having a trap where it would be dangerous (or just inconvenient) to the occupants is pointless (and stupid).

An open pit is an obstacle for the PCs to overcome. A hidden pit trap is the same, but also hits the PCs resources and thus increases tension (and challenge later-on).

I often advise GMs not to call for a roll of the dice unless they can deal with both a success and a failure. Perhaps the same principle applies to installing traps: don’t put a trap in an adventure unless you can cope with

• a PC disarming it
  • the party finding or creating a way around it
  • the party setting it off and suffering its worst effects
  • the party turning back from it because the don’t fancy their chances with it.
1 Like

Or, as I said before, there is some reason that its pressing that they solve this. If they’ve got all the time in the world, what’s the point?

Surely such urgency just makes it even worse to get an outcome that you can’t deal with?

I sometimes throw in an obvious to players trap they can repurpose to get one up on their opposition.

Players like to feel clever and using the map against the baddies feels clever.

And then you get the party who are determined to go back to town and sleep to refill their spells any time they get even vaguely low, no matter how many hints you drop about impending apocalypse.

We have Monty Python sketches for that.

1 Like

Yes I am familiar with that! “So hold on, you’re in a desperate race to track down the McGuffin before a horrible fate befalls the city and you want to have a long rest???”

(intoning Gai Tsutsugami from Guilty Crown)
“You’ll have plenty of time to sleep after you’re dead!”