Do you remember the moment you fell down the rabbit hole?

My family have always been fairly keen on games. I have fond memories of playing Jack Straws, Mikado, and Beetle with my grandparents when I was very young. We had some of the standard family games in our house (Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary etc.) and my grandparents had a bunch of older games like Buccaneer and Scoop.

I think the first ‘modern’ board game I played was Discworld: Ankh Morpork. My family are big Terry Pratchett fans, so my parents have several of the Discworld board games. I also encountered Taluva when I was a postgraduate student, which I think is a great introductory game.

The proper rabbit hole moment was after I moved to a new town for my first ‘real’ job after university. Not knowing anyone locally, I found a bunch of interesting-looking meetup groups to try out. The local board game group is the one that stuck. I’ve relocated again since then but I still meet up with that original group at conventions, and I’m playing a lot with them online at the moment since their physical game nights are suspended.

9 Likes

I’ve mostly got my brother to blame

Although we did have a couple of decent games as kids, and collected warhammer as teens everything kinda fell away after leaving school.

A few years of no board/minis games and a new friend I make at the ice hockey works at the local games workshop - a bit of nostalgic talk and I start a wee collection again (yeah, you and I know that doesn’t stay wee for long…)

Shortly after though, my brother’s been watching Role Player and Tabletop on YouTube and wants to get a game night with my sister and I.
We play a couple of games like Love Letter and Munchkin, but the one that hooked me was Forbidden Desert. First time I’d ever played against a game co-op, and the way the game’s tiles move around was dynamic in a way that was really engaging.
Was such a refreshing blend and got under my skin enough to start looking into more

4 Likes