Do we want a "looking for players" sub in the RPGs category?

I am not interested in PBF games, and though I have not muted the category I pretty much ignore it anyway. I do not think it would be a good place for ads for games that are not PBF. It’s busy enough to flush them if they are not pinned, but if they were pinned they’d be unwelcome clutter to the PBF players, who might feel that their forum was being used as a lumber-room. And in either case they’d be overlooked by people who aren’t into PBF.

OK, so this is starting to look like:

• PBF RPG recruitment - can stay in the existing PBF RPG category
  • Other RPG recruitment - gets a new subcategory off RPGs, and people who don’t want to see any such can mute it completely

Does that seem reasonably acceptable to everyone?

3 Likes

Yep, that seems fine to me. Each ad will have a brief prominence in the RPG category before passing down the page along with other topics, but if I’m looking for a game opportunity I’ll be able easily to check the recruitment sub.

Should we choose a title for the sub carefully so as not to inadvertently attract the recruitment threads for PBF games?

“Real-time game recruitment”?

1 Like

“Looking for players (non-PBF)”?

And something in the “about this category” topic to make that clearer.

I prefer not to define categories by exclusion or negation.

“Players wanted for real-time RPGs”

“Looking for players (videochat, VOIP, and real-life games)“

1 Like

Before we commit, it’s worth thinking about this twice*. Why are we excluding “want” ads for PBF and BPeM games?

Because using the PBF sub for those is working fine and doesn’t need to be changed.

Would there be any problem with making a single “Players Wanted” sub in the RPG cat, and allowing “want” ads for PBF games to be posted in either place?

* Ki Wan was one who thought three times over a thing before he acted. The Master hearing this of him, observed, “Twice would have been enough.” ( Confucius )

If a group of PBF players want to use the same thread for signup and game… well, a friendly mod can always move it.

We shall have to recruit a friendly mod.

2 Likes

And if a PBF player decides to start their signup thread in the PBF forum, well, no harm is done.