Campaign prospectuses

On one hand the Gehennum campaign sounds interesting. On the other, I’m not sure we have the same definition of comedy; I tend to like comedy that edifies by amusing, or maybe t’other way round (I expect you know the Renaissance formula, “instruct by pleasing”). For example, one of my favorite comedic works is Pride and Prejudice, which I find a lot more entertaining than, say, Gilbert and Sullivan’s operattas. However, I certainly have run campaigns that had a lot of “everyday life” and that tended to happy endings.

My current campaign, Tapestry, seems to be going that way, at least for the moment. The PCs have arrived at their home port after a year and a half away. Now the purser is looking to get married, so he has a wife to safeguard his interests while he’s away, and is going to meet several young women his mother has identified as possible; and he’s also introducing his apprentice, Onofrio, who joined the crew at Dumetum Furtum, a settlement on the other side of the Sea, to the society of Portus Argenti—ideally Onofrio will eventually take a second wife there so that he has one at each end of the route, but for the moment Onofrio is having to make sense of exotic customs like money and abstract property rights. There’s also going to be subplots about class hierarchy. All of that seems to be part of what comedy is made from. . . .