Antiquity, the most ridiculous game to PBF, beginners-only game recruitment and discussion

Question to players - would you prefer to see the map with zone of control highlighting on or off for the countryside build phase? and explore and pollution?

1 Like

Prefer on, but won’t be heartbroken if others would prefer off.

1 Like

I think on would be handy please

1 Like

I’m a fan of the game’s visual appeal, so every extra layer I add (coordinates, highlighting) seems to detract from that. That said, when weighed against making the game easier to understand and instructions easier to communicate, the answer is obvious, thanks! Also, it’ll be a good test of the highlighting clarity.

Turns out that Vassal’s in-engine image capture ignores highlighting. I can simply use a normal screenshot, but that means fitting the map on my screen, so it comes out at a lower resolution. Shouldn’t be a problem, but if it is too squinty, please let me know.

1 Like

Now accepting countryside build orders. In the game thread, or by private message, in any order, makes no difference at this point.

pillbox is the only player to go for 3 carts, so his reward will be one more man harvesting and some graves. How many dead people? That remains to be seen.

3 Likes

As per the handy highlighting, you do not have access to 8-4 or 6-5,7-4. As previously, if this knowledge changes where you want to place your city, that is absolutely fine.

Countryside building happens in phase 4, exploring in phase 7. If you build a woodcutter on 28-5, the exploration token is discarded before the explore phase. Again, if this means you want to change your city location, that’s fine.

I wasn’t sure about this. Let me ponder.

Dangit, I thought I was just not seeing the yellow highlight due to the tones of the tile.

I’ve already made quite a hash of this. I’ll keep my city where it is, but would request permission to build 2 carts, an explorer, and a granary instead of 3 carts.

OK. Sure you don’t want to move to… 9-5, for example? (I’m not saying it is a better location in any absolute sense, it depends on what you want to build)

Changing city build in response to seeing 3 explorers seems more along the lines of reacting to new in-game information than new rule information, but I am happy to allow either or both.

Ahh, I had not considered that new information has been revealed (which may go to show you how bad I am at focusing on the minutiae of play-by-post games).

I think centering on 9-5 is a satisfactory move as well and doesn’t allow privileged information to potentially influence my city-build decision.

Please note that “happy to allow either or both” really means just that. I was pointing out that new information had been revealed, not making an argument that one or the other amendment is “better”.

When you are ready, please make a final decision with all three phases of information: setup location, city build, and countryside build, and I’ll correct the game thread.

I understand that you are willing to allow either, but I would not like to beg that allowance from the other players. Hopefully, the others will permit me to relocate my city.

If I’m allowed to relocate my city, I will send the following:
(I think I’m picturing this correctly)

• Woodcutter to 7-3
  • Woodcutter to 9-7
  • Fishery (fish) to 7-6,7-7

Otherwise, if my city stays:

• Woodcutter to 11-7
  • Woodcutter to 5-8
  • Fishery (fish) to 10-5,10-6

I’m happy with all of this.

1 Like

I’m taking all responsibility for allowing corrections, the other players don’t get a say (I know they would all allow it anyway). This way you don’t have to worry about asking them =P

Any reason for 7-3 woodcutter over 6-4 or 8-3? The former makes full use of the woodland, the latter avoids losing the exploration token. Note that reserving a 3-hex woodland area is a totally valid thing to do for various reasons, so my suggestions are not necessarily better than your stated move.

2 Likes

Ahh! My reasoning was that I thought the exploration token would survive for me to be able to grab later. With that in mind, I will beg permission, yet again, to change my order for Woodcutter to 8-3.

1 Like

OK, the game thread will be updated soonish.

This tripped up both RossM and pillbox, so I’ll reiterate: placing a fishery, inn, city, good, or even pollution on an exploration token discards the token unseen. Any kind of harvesting man will replace an exploration token in own and adjacent hexes with a good (+grass/pollution).

1 Like

If there’s anything unexpected in that post, please let me know. Any requests for changes to countryside builds will be accepted. I noted that all 3 fisheries were placed to harvest one less fish than possible, but assumed you all had reasons for that, such as saving a water hex for a future luxury goods harvest, or wanting a man back a turn earlier.

1 Like

Before I give my woodcutter coordinates, does it make any difference which one I harvest first? They are all adjacent to my woodcutter token so I shouldn’t think so

1 Like

You’d think so, right? Actually, you might find harvesting decisions having significant consequences in the game. Not always, but even early, if you want to maximize a farm area, for instance, which wood you take might be important.

1 Like