Actual things you actually said (or heard) in the last 24 hours

“I hate ice cream”

2 Likes

Quite right, me too!

1 Like

3 Likes

[I said] ‘No, it’s a picture of him (George VI) kinging before he had his magic hat’. In response, my interlocutor muttered ‘pancake juice’ and cackled wildly.

Life can be v complicated and confusing, frankly.

7 Likes

What have I done to offend my children?

“Were you alive when the Queen was coronated (sic)?”
“No, that was way before I was born”
“Really? I thought this was your third coronation!”

7 Likes

“Why am I sitting here polishing a wax owl?”

7 Likes

Eldest finished High School yesterday. Good to know his friends think he’d sacrifice someone

13 Likes

“I feel that if you are doing Zoroastrian [light and fire] magic on the bright face of Mercury you have basically won.”

9 Likes

“I don’t have the energy to hit him anymore”

3 Likes

Didn’t say it, but I wrote it. I’m quite pleased with this little section of the future of my profession, hot off the press, for the textbook I’m working on. It might not make the cut but I’m happy with it nevertheless.

Artificial intelligence and the future of cytology

As a child who grew up watching the Terminator films, the author has a healthy respect for digital sentience and would like to be the first to salute their new robot overlords. This aside, however, artificial intelligence remains (at the time of writing) a blunt and inconsistent tool. It is very good at recognising patterns and can make what seem to us surprising logical leaps, depending upon how much data are fed into it. Cytology is however (as hopefully this book has made clear) often a subjective science, highly dependent upon context. Artificial intelligence has the potential to greatly augment cytological examination, and to pick up on patterns not immediately apparent to the cytologist. It may even replace human examination in some standardised areas of cytological examination (such as blood film assessment). Even for these samples, however, a human is likely to remain necessary in at least the medium term to examine cases which the AI has flagged up as unusual.

For non-standardised cases (i.e. most of the rest of cytology), humans will remain essential to assess the whole context of the case and to make educated guesses where details are scarce. This is likely to remain the case until digital intelligence surpasses that of human and, at this stage, humanity will have larger problems than a few unemployed pathologists.

11 Likes

Also I’m quite pleased with my introduction to our latest Ribbon of Memes film posdcast (with @RogerBW ), which is a mash up of the Venerable Bede and Buzz Lightyear.

5 Likes

[speechless] [/speechless]

4 Likes

“I think I managed to clean all of the cat sick off your music stand”

7 Likes

“Everyone can only put poison in Rob’s goblet.”

5 Likes

Child: do you have bad knees like Mom?
Me: No
Child: What do you have that’s bad?
Me: Children
Child: True.

13 Likes

“You know, it doesn’t feel good to be shouted at and have a diaper thrown at you.”

Me, after my wife apologized for what she did while she was hungry.

11 Likes

At my daughter’s baseball game yesterday, during warmups, the team started chanting ‘there’s a rooster in the outfield! There’s a rooster in the outfield’. I figured I was missing some bit of baseball argot. Then it crowed. Some dudes had brought their pet cock to the park for an outing.

6 Likes

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many Orgasms I have left, that’s going to be first come first served…

– James Raggi on his YouTube product release video

1 Like

“Your trash talk is coming out more like pre-sorted recycling.”

“Smile like you just smelled someone’s durian but are trying to be polite.”

12 Likes